Women's Fund GO Ahead & Play: Call for Artists
Women’s Fund of Central Indiana's GO Ahead & Play project is a student-led public art project engaging middle and high school students in a philanthropic leadership process by bringing art and music to central Indiana. The project is lead by 6th-12th grade students involved in GO: Give Back and supported by their parents and Women’s Fund staff. GO: Give Back helps develop future community leaders through philanthropy-based learning.
Women’s Fund's GO Ahead & Play project is a 15-month student-led project featuring “pop-up” pianos transformed by artists and displayed in public places throughout Indianapolis, bringing music to unexpected and underserved areas. The inspiration for GO Ahead & Play is an organization called Sing for Hope that has enjoyed great success in New York City.
Women's Fund invites applications from local artists who would like to participate in GO Ahead & Play by re-envisioning a working upright piano through their art. We have a special interest in working with and promoting female artists; however, we welcome men to engage in this project as well.
- Please describe your work as an artist in 75 words or less.
- Please describe in 150 words or less how you would design the piano and your inspiration.
- Please include a photo, sketch or other visual representation of your plan. Applications without this included will not be considered.
- Artists are requested to donate their time and talent. A nominal supply fee will be made available to participating artists. Please let us know the financial support you request for supplies.
- All entries are due by March 8, 2013 at 12:00 p.m. noon. Selected artists will be notified by March 31.
Note: an online application link is found at the bottom of this page.
- Pianos will be placed outside. Be sure the media used can withstand environmental changes.
- The piano may be painted or sculpted in any way as long as it can still be tuned and played. Piano keys may not be painted.
- Please stay PG—pianos will be on public display and will be donated to nonprofits at the conclusion of the public display.
Dates for work: April-June
Deadline for project completion: June 30, 2013
Exhibition dates: August 2013
Expectations and additional details:
- All pianos are upright; grand pianos and baby grand pianos are not available.
- This project is open to individual artists and groups of artist of all ages.
- All participating artists are expected to be able to meet set deadlines and project requirements.
- GO Ahead & Play has developed a comprehensive public relations plan, which includes artists participating in photo/video shoots and interviews throughout the creative process.
- The pianos will be located in the Women's Fund Workshop, donated by Sandor Development Company, in the Honeycreek Plaza on West 38th Street. We will have flexible hours scheduled to best meet the needs of participating artists.
- Women’s Fund reserves the right to request modifications of any completed artwork that does not represent the spirit of GO Ahead & Play.
Women's Fund of Central Indiana is a special interest fund of CICF.
Leave a Comment
There are currently no comments for this blog entry.
If you are interested in becoming a blog sponsor, please contact Ali Birge at 317.634.2423 or email@example.com.
- 2014 (69)
- 2013 (112)
- 2012 (103)
- 2011 (100)
- 2010 (111)
- 2009 (46)