Power of Girls Inspires Life-Long Lessons
Power of Girls is an amazing program providing a unique opportunity for girls age 13 to 16 and a special woman in their life to learn lessons that will stay with them for the rest of their lives. When I found out about Power of Girls and heard the reactions of participants, I wished something like this was offered when I was a teenager... and I'm sure to tell anyone I know who could benefit from this program today.
What is Power of Girls?
Since March 2004, Women’s Fund of Central Indiana has partnered with Indianapolis Power & Light Company and The Julian Center to host nine Power of Girls events. The tenth Power of Girls will be held Saturday, November 20, 2010, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Over the course of a six hour period, participants:
- Learn what constitutes healthy relationships, recognize the signs of abusive ones, and learn how to get out of a destructive relationship - before it’s too late.
- Explore all forms of philanthropy and how to help.
- Learn about current research about problems faced by women in our community and how Women’s Fund is helping in a very special way.
- Understand what The Julian Center does, how it is supported and the cost of providing its services.
- Hear how The Julian Center is changing the lives of many women in our community that simply have no where else to go.
- Tour The Julian Center and meet and do a project with shelter residents.
- Girl participants make a grant of approximately $3,000 to The Julian Center for purposes they decide based on what they have learned about the Center during the day.
- Adult participants watch girls present their grant and explain their rationale for choosing particular services or programs to support.
What makes this program so special?
Girls, age 13 to 16, are able to learn about healthy relationships at a critical time in their lives. This day will teach valuable and practical lessons about what's healthy and what's not so healthy behavior in relationships. In addition, only 17 adult-girl couples participate, which makes this a focused and highly interactive experience, led by expert staff from Women's Fund's GO: Give Back philanthropy education program and The Julian Center.
Is Power of Girls limited to only mothers and daughters?
No... a girl can attend with her mom, she may also attend with an aunt, grandmother, or other special woman in her life.
What does it cost?
The cost per couple is $250. It may sound a little pricey, but this is a worthwhile investment. The fee is tax deductible and benefits The Julian Center and Women's Fund of Central Indiana.
For full details and to register, please download the brochure by clicking here or calling 317.634.2423. Spaces are limited and are first-come, first-served, so register soon!
Leave a Comment
There are currently no comments for this blog entry.
If you are interested in becoming a blog sponsor, please contact Deanna Gonzales at 317.634.2423 x131 or email@example.com.
- Mar 15 - Joy’s House has a passion for caring for our loved ones
- Mar 10 - Concord Neighborbood Center Provides Invaluable Services to Indy's Southside
- Feb 08 - Press Release - February 8, 2017
- Dec 28 - Dove Recovery House Helps Women Face Down Addiction
- Dec 14 - Five Ways You Can Support Breast Cancer Research Today